Silly me – I forgot to take a “before” picture of this picture frame before I altered it. Imagine a black plastic frame from Walmart and you’ve got the general idea.
I spray painted the frame white so that the parts that showed were lighter – it took several coats. Spray paint dries quickly so that took an afternoon at most.
The paper I used was a 12×12 pad from K&Company. I knew I wanted to use a variety of papers and using a pad meant that I could be sure that they would work together, rather than trying to mix and match different brands.
To fit the paper to the shape of the frame I flipped the frame and the paper and traced around the shape as best as I could. The fence seemed complicated and time-consuming, but it actually went quickly once I decided to cut the paper to fit the vertical slats and used twine for the horizontal. I measured the width and height of the fence posts and cut rectangular strips to to the right size, and just guessed at the points – they weren’t perfect but close enough.
I used glue gun to secure the embellishments – the twine and ribbon flowers.
I had initially planned to just do one scalloped strip along the base of the roof, but it looked so cute and shingle-like that I decided to do the whole roof, using different patterned papers. I punched the scallops and then lined the paper up on the roof and marked where to trim the ends.
The bush shapes are a portion of a punched scallop circle, and I stamped the bricks, the flower box and the sentiment clouds from a Close to My Heart set, Around the Block.
I love the way it turned out – it’s pretty but neutral enough to work with many decors. I look forward to giving this to someone special – filled with family photos – maybe for Valentine’s Day!