d
c

9 Comments

1. Laura
    October 10, 2017 @ 11:22 am

These are so beautiful! Angela we respect you for your awesome talent and your genuineness. Thank you for being real.

2. Robin Edmundson
    October 10, 2017 @ 11:26 am

I soooo needed to hear this today. I just took a solo show down a couple of weeks ago and since then I can’t find my groove. Everything I paint is yuck. You’ve inspired me to try a different approach. Thank you!

3. Gerry Draper
    October 10, 2017 @ 11:59 am

Thanks for sharing this, Angela. I was in Colorado a couple of weeks ago and took many photos of the beautiful colors there, but I couldn’t seem to get them down on paper. I will try your suggestion of not using my reference photos and see where I get. Thanks again .

4. Holly Humphrey
    October 10, 2017 @ 2:42 pm

ONCE AGAIN YOU TEACH US SO BEAUTIFULLY WITH YOUR WORDS…..

5. Evelyn VanderLinde
    October 10, 2017 @ 3:49 pm

Thank you Angela for the reminder to ‘let go, let it flow’. I have spent these simply gorgeous warm, sunny fall days (Ontario) outside, ‘trying’ to put paint to paper to describe the geraniums on my veranda….6 attempts, with one possible result to show for it.
    I especially am intrigued with the last pic of the floral hints…that is where I want to go in my work…

blessings
    evelyn

6. Nicole
    October 10, 2017 @ 4:39 pm

It is very encouraging to see that an artist like you experiences frustrations. You are very humble. Persistence is helpful when painting with any medium.

7. Cathy Wiken
    October 10, 2017 @ 5:17 pm

I completely relate to what you’re saying! When I take “angry energy” and just go to it on my paper, I come out with some very cool, spontaneous work! I go bolder, I use colors that aren’t in my normal palette and am usually very happy with the results.

8. ann bone
    October 10, 2017 @ 6:18 pm

I have been attempting to try loose watercolor. It’s a new style for me. I look at every painting I try and I am very hard on myself. It doesn’t look how l want it to look. I want it to be flowing and calming and beautiful colors merging together to relax the viewer. Instead, it looks like a kindergartener painted it. I get what your saying. I hope to have a day where I say “yes”… “I did it”. Will that groove ever come. Thanks for sharing and I enjoy your work!!

9. Robyn Hannam
    October 10, 2017 @ 8:02 pm

Your quote above really spoke to me. Channeling one’s anger / angst / uncertainty can be so reinvigorating. My husband was in ICU recovering from major heart surgery. In my painting class that day, I was like a scalded cat. I just seized a Huge canvas ( not my usual constrained style) and ripped into about 4 puddles of red and black acrylic and painted an impasto style view of the interior of the aorta in the heart as would be seen by an investigative camera . Like looking into a tunnel. Then I put it away to focus on his rehab . I pulled it out today ( now four years ago and I am back doing small delicate water colour ) – and went “Wow” ! Your work is so beautiful and converted me to the medium. My class mates are now peeping over my shoulder and thinking they might try it.